Casey Atwood
Casey Atwood, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Expert
110262156

Ive just perchased a 2005 v6 3.0 asn a4 cab that the owner

Customer Question

hi ive just perchased a 2005 v6 3.0 asn a4 cab that the owner informed me that hed done the cam belt, upon inspection no coolant just water, so ive dug deeper to inspect whilst sorting clutch and air con pump. cam belt contaminated with oil from what looks like through cam pullys?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: clutch started to slip after driving car home , very mild but want to sort car before giving it to my sister different issue to cam leaks, thought cam shaft oil seals but there are caps in centre of pullys with oil behind caps when removed and confused with online postings
JA: What year is your A4?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, only stripped front off to axcess cam belt and inspect, ordered timing tool set but want to sort oil leak at same time and not waist another cam belt set like old owner
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Audi
Expert:  Casey Atwood replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. I am here to look into your question today so please feel free to ask me anything required in order to get your problem resolved! We all understand it can be annoying when your auto is not operating as expected but not to worry I will do my upmost to help get it sorted. I am just looking at the information you have provided now so just bare with me for a few moments please.

Thank you so much for your patience today, I can see that you are having some difficulty with the belt contaminated with oil can I ask if the vehicle runs?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
this started as check over before giving car to sis
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
sorry i cannot currently do the call option as although a qualified mechanic i requalified in another field and have a full patient clinic today so communicating between patients.

That is okay, as I am unable to take calls at this time it is just a suggestion you don't have to accept, do you know if there were any fault codes at all?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no current codes, current cam belt changed 4000 miles/ 6mths ago with water pump but now contaminated, oil present around cam pullys and when removed cam centre caps large amount of oil behind?

Hmm, do you know if the previous owner had it done himself or at a garage?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
himself, polish mechanic, are you aware of this engine , cam set configuration ,pulleys etc as we do not seem to be discussing much of relevance at the moment ?

I am just trying to get a broader understanding of what was done and to what standard. so usually the seals leak just a little bit but not extensively and especially once they have been bedded in I would think that the timing case cover gasket. have you noticed any signs of coolant leaks or was it just water? or failed PCV causing the excess pressure blowing the gasket.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok so rocker covers usual damp around edges, age related, ive ordered up a pair of these for good measure, no coolant leaks just lazy prev owner. seen comments of pcv issue but not dug any deeper is this a common issue? how to check ? are there any replaceable items?

and yes, I have seen the PCV fail I usually get the uprated one as they usually last a lot longer on the audi's rather than them failing but they are reasonably common and it is usually on the driver's side just under the engine rocker cover so you will have to remove that.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
have you any experience in the cam belt pully seals ? is this an issue possibility or pcv pressurising? not seen any threads on pull seal failure

and yes if the PCV has failed and over-pressurized the system then the seals would go due to the age of it, it isn't unusual to see.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
if pcv is replaced am i likely to need cam pully seals or do they tend to go again?

I would replace them, as they are leaking meaning the seal has ultimately failed and they shouldn't go again after that unless the PCV or something else decides to fail as the seals themselves arent replaced with timing or schedule. when they fail they fail.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thank you for your help i will get on with this lot for starters

You’re very welcome! It has been a pleasure to help you today, is there anything further I can assist with? Thanks for choosing Just Answer I hope you have a great day.