How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 45937
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now

hi I went through my union for a lawyer for my settlement with

This answer was rated:

hi I went through my union for a lawyer for my settlement with the ex , they made so many mistakes and I went through 3 lawyer in about 6 months in there firm , because I
was making very good money at the time they didn't care , I had there top lawyer in the firm and I walked out off court with no $$ only my super that I want to split .. just woundering if I could sue there firm ?? my first lawyer with them left to start for her own firm ,she said if we go to court ill get $50'000 ..
thanks Michael
Good Evening
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
You will need to be able to show that they were negligent.
I cannot say yes or no but you will need to go and see a negligence lawyer and get advise on the file. You have to get the file from the firm that acted for you and have the new solicitor look at it and give you advise.
The law in property matters applies the following 4 steps
Step 1: Determine what the assets are and their value
This will include all assets and their value as at the day that you are dividing them. It does not matter whose name the assets are in, they will form part of the matrimonial pool. Superannuation entitlements are also included.
Step 2: Determine what contributions you and your spouse made towards the assets.
This includes a consideration of both financial and non-financial contributions. Consideration is given to what assets each of you brought into the marriage as well. The weight given to your initial contribution will be dependent upon the length of your relationship. The longer the relationship the less weight given to the initial contribution.
Step 3: What are each of your future needs.
Consideration is given to your respective ages, your comparitive income earning capacity as well as other factors.
If these things don't balance equally for each spouse, then an adjustment is made in the percentages.
Step 4: Make an order that is just and equitable between both spouses
When you hand the file to the other solicitor he will look at what they have done and if they have made any mistakes or given you incorrect advise.
I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This has thank you.

Leon .. I was going to go through a no win no fee lawyer. ? What do you think? Ihhave already spent up 30000 to get nothing.. I'm willing to give a good percent to a lawyer.. But I not have any money now. They broke me...

Good Evening
It is not a compensation matter and No Win No Fee lawyers will not act for you.
They will not agree to do it on a no win no fee basis.
They only do this if it is a compensation matter and there is an insurance company involved.
All you can do is ask but I do not believe that will accept to do it on a no win no fee basis.
Good Morning Michael
I hope it all goes well
You are very welcome and thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
Leon and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you