How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 46276
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now

i am going to australia on 21 st march i was granted a visa

This answer was rated:

i am going to australia on 21 st march i was granted a visa last july i didnt make the application myself. i have now realised i should have disclosed a conviction for an offence from feb 1976. i dont think i have timt left to reapply as i would have to get a police certificate the offence in question was in northern ireland and came under the special category offences. it would i think have beec classed as politican. can you advise me what i should do
Good Morning
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
What visa were you granted?
The fact you were granted the visa means that they have been satisfied with your application.
Did they ask you for a clearance from the police on your application?
Did your application request details of any conviction and did you respond incorrectly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i was granted an eta visa. I didnt apply for it personally. my son did it and he wasnt aware of my conviction.On the application it asks about conviction, so technically i responded incorrectlyThey didnt ask for a police certificate. it states on the visa granted that if i had a conviction i had to apply for a diffirent type of visa .i dont know if they checked my record and if so would they have cancelled the visa if they werent satisfied

Good Morning
I would contact them urgently and also apply for a check because you may be stopped at the border and refused entry.
It is not an excuse to say you did not apply for it as the acceptance is that you who is the applicant agreed and did the right thing.
They will not cancel the visa now they will wait and question you on arrival. So best to do something now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i think i should apply for the police check and take it with me in the event i am stopped its too late to apply for a diffirent visa as it takes at least 20 days to process .would you agree this is probobly my best option as this stage.

Good Morning
You should make the application ASAP.
This way you can see what your record says.
If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
Leon and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you