How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 46236
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now

We live in the uk. my husbands ex wife took his two

This answer was rated:

we live in the uk. my husbands ex wife took his two daughters to australia and after two years Australia contacted him to pay child maintenance. It seems that in Australia maintenance is sometimes paid until the child is 20 years old. Will this apply to him as we live in the UK?

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

It is paid until the age of 18 and if the child is to continue to further education then the child has to make an application to the court to get it past the age of 18.

If the court grants the order then they can enforce it in the UK but the payer of the support has to be made aware of the application and has the right to defend it.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance if there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Leon and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you