How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 45937
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now

My husband and I will be moving back to Australia next year

Customer Question

My husband and I will be moving back to Australia next year and my current UK employer has offered for me to stay with them but work from Australia. It's a small company and they have never done this before so looking for the best option for me. Would I be best to keep my current contract and continue to be paid in the UK and regularly transfer money back to Australia or is there a way I can be paid into an Australian bank account? Am I more likely to pay more tax as an employee in Australia or in the UK?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning.

It makes no difference where you are paid from for Australian Tax Law. As you are a resident here you will pay tax here.

If they are paying you as a UK employee that lives in Australia you may also be taxed in the UK. So I think it would be best you are paid in Australia from Australia and only be taxed once.

As a resident the tax rates in Australia are as per the following link.

But being paid from the UK you may have to pay tax in the UK as well.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Leon, thanks for this. I have to confess, I was a little confused by your email. Are you saying that if I am paid from the UK I will have to pay tax in both the UK and Australia? Is there any way to avoid this? My company does not have operations or an office in Australia so I don't think it will be possible for them to pay me from Australia. I had a friend tell me that I might not need to pay UK tax if I can get the UK tax office to change my tax code to NT (don't know what this means). The same person told me I would have to declare this income to Australian tax authorities when I file my tax return in Australia and claim foreign tax credit relief against UK tax suffered. Does that sound right to you? Is it possible to do that? Thanks!
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning.

Yes that is correct. They will collect taxes in the UK and you will also have to pay here.

If they pay you in Australia as an australian employee then you will only be taxed here. If they pay you in the UK then you are double taxed.

If they pay you directly here then you only pay tax in Australia

If you pay tax in the UK you will get credit here in Australia but it is best to only pay tax here.