Leon
Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
12124641

Child/Children maintenance obligation under Australian law

Customer Question

Child/Children maintenance obligation under Australian law for father lives New Zealand upon divorce
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Evening

You can apply for child support here and they will collect it from NZ

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/child-support/child-support-assessment

You make the application here and there is an agreement with NZ about collection

Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by rating my work 5 stars so I can be paid. Highlight the 5 stars at the top and click the submit button.

Thank you for using Justanswer and I look forward to assist in the future as required.

Leon

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does spouse maintenance works the same way while live in Australian with my children and their father works and lives in New Zealand?
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Evening

No spousal maintenance has to be ordered by the court.

Once you get the court order then you have to register it in NZ and then enforce it.

The Australian Courts cannot enforce orders overseas.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Getting divorced in NZ and will live in Australia, can I register court order of spouse maintenance granted in NZ with Australia and enforce it?
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

You can

if the person that is to pay for the maintenance is in australia the court can enforce here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The person who will pay the spouse maintenance will continue work and live in NZ, so no then?
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Evening

You do not need to register here. If they work in NZ you get the NZ courts to enforce it and send you the money in Australia

You do not need to register the order in Australia in that case.