How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 51398
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now

My apartment in Australia I am renting I have just found out

Customer Question

Hello. My apartment in Australia I am renting I have just found out will have building works done next door for the next year, which contains aspesdos. The estate agent didn’t notify me of these works for the next year. Dust and clouds of dust is everywhere. all the builders and neighbors said everyone was aware this was happening. I was not told.
I was also told I will lose my car park and garden.
What can you advise I do?
Thank you
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

Good Afternoon

Have you reported it to the neighbours and also to the managing agent.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
however they all seemed to know about the works however I was not notified. It makes me wonder if that’s why the previous tenant moved out and the agent was dishonest with me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What do you suggest I do and what should I request from the managing agent? Re housing? A refund, reduced rent?
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

If they knew and you were not told then you can lodge a complaint with VCAT

You send them a letter and seek to terminate the lease on the basis you were not told and if they refuse take them to VCAT

If you want to stay you can seek a rent reduction.

but this is unacceptable.

I hope this assists you with your question today.