Peter Collins
Peter Collins,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed
101823876

My granddaughter is 5 she has been staying with me since she

Customer Question

My granddaughter is 5 she has been staying with me since she was 4 month old she stays in all the holidays I have had her for 4 weeks her mam and dad who are alcoholics say she has to ho home today she is terrified and has disclosed some things to me and I dont want her there I have phoned social services and police and no one will do anything
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No as she has just disclosed them a few days ago but this has been going on since she was born there have been 32 referrals to social services
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: County durham
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes they force feed her food till she is sick they fight and argue all the time which scares her the take speed and the house is covered in cat fleas
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Peter Collins replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I suggest you apply for a child arrangements order for the court to state that she lives with you.

You can tick the urgency box and the risk of harm box on the form if you are concerned for her safety if she goes back to her parents. You also need to state on the form the you need permission to apply as you are not a biological parent.

You need to submit the form to the family court, and do this ASAP.

The form is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-c100-application-under-the-children-act-1989-for-a-child-arrangements-prohibited-steps-specific-issue-section-8-order-or-to-vary-or-discharge

The application costs £215.00, and you can represent yourself so you don't need to engage a lawyer. You can possibly get a fee exemption if you are on low income/have low savings. You would need to fill out a fee exemption form (http://www.gov.uk/get-help-with-court-fees)

Can I clarify anything?

Hello - did you receive my reply?

Can I assist you further with your question?

Kind regards,

Peter

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

Hello - did you receive my reply?

Kind regards,

Peter

I hope you found my advice helpful. I'd really appreciate you taking a second to provide a 5 star rating for me (top right of your screen) as without this I won't be credited for responding to you.

Many thanks in advance.

Peter