How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 51398
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now

I need to know the difference between a 601 visa and a 651

This answer was rated:

I need to know the difference between a 601 visa and a 651 visa. They are both short stay visas. When would you use each of them and which is likely to be the quicker?

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Give me a minute and I will send you the information

A 651 is for people with passports form the following countries

And be a eVisitor passport holder from an eligible country:

  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Republic of San Marino
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom – British Citizen
  • Vatican City.

Everyone else applies for a 600

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by rating my work 5 stars so I can be paid. Highlight the 5 stars at the top and click the submit button.

Thank you for using Justanswer and I look forward to assist in the future as required.


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** does that differ from a 601. They look the same?

They all look the same

DO you hold a UK passport and are you coming for a holiday and if so how long for?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am trying to sort this out on behalf of my daughter and her friend, 2 young UK doctors who have applied for TSS visas sponsored by an Australian hospital. They are about to run out of time on 30 day free Bali visas and as they haven't had their working visas they want to come in as tourists and await the working visa. They have received differing advice ie apply for 601 and 651.

What have they been told. It is hard to respond without knowing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They have are waiting for the TSS work visas and have been told nothing. They have been advised to get a tourist visa to come into Australia to wait for the work visa. My daughter has been advised to apply for 601, but her friend has been advised and has now applied for 651.
They can apply for either. The 601 is not free. But if they want to be allowed to stay longer than 3 months per entry then 601.
They can seek longer than the 3 months
Leon and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you