Leon
Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
12124641

Can a person who does not own a vehicle apply for a Reggio?

JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We don't know. Our son is in the UK and left his car with a friend in Australia. Our son is now trying to sell the car but the friend has registered it in his name.
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Our son was an Australian resident but suffered very badly from depression and anxiety. He became very mentally ill and suffered from psychotic episodes. His condition became so bad that I had to go out to Australia and bring him back to the UK.
He left his car with a friend in Australia who has somehow managed to register it in his name. Our son is still paying off the car loan for it and wants it sold, however the friend is saying I have registered it and only I can sell it. He is now not responding to any texts, messages etc and we are at a loss to know what to do.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The friend is not responding-
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If it helps, he has not transferred the vehicle over to him.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

If your son has not transferred the registration into the friends name it was done fraudulently

Did your sone transfer it to his friends name?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As far as I am aware he did not. He still owns the car. My son lived in Queensland and because he was ill, left the car with the friend.
My son is under the impression that it is the number plate that you register. He is still the owner of the car.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My question is: Do you have to own the car to register it?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What can he do?

Good Morning

No you do not have to be the one that owns it to have it registered in your name.

Your son is going to have to report this to the police.

Also he will have to contact the Transport department and make and application to get copies of the documents to see how the car was transferred to his friends name

Hopefully the police will get involved.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by rating my work 5 stars so I can be paid. Highlight the 5 stars at the top and click the submit button.

Thank you for using Justanswer and I look forward to assist in the future as required.

Leon

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His friend has registered a different number plate.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Your son has to get evidence of what he has done from the transport department and report this to the police.

If he was here it would be quicker he could do it in person but he needs to do it form the UK

It is not going to be easy

But call the police and report it and also get as much as he can from the department of transport,

Leon

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am really grateful for this advice and will not hesitate in getting back to you should things turn ugly. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

You are very welcome and all the best

Thank you for the rating it is much appreciated

Leon