How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5596
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

My brother has been living in Perth for 35 years and has an

This answer was rated:

My brother has been living in Perth for 35 years and has an Australian passport. His British passport has expired but he was born in UK as were his parents and his brothers and sisters live in UK. Is he entitled to receive treatment from NHS if necessary on his visit to UK next April/May.?
JA: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the UK government?
Customer: No I’m enquiring what is necessary. He cannot gain travel insurance due to cancer in recession
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: should I
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: he’s had bowel cancer and has scarring
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I just wait.?

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. I am reviewing your question now for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we email - it’s too expensive

He will be entitled to emergency A & E treatment without having to show any evidence. However although technically by being a British Citizen he does qualify for nhs treatment, having lived outside the UK for so many years he will be required to show that he is eligible to claim the free treatment. He wont be able to prove this if he is only coming for treatment and going back to Perth. There is need for evidence he has returned with the purpose of living in the UK permanently, that he is at the time of going to hospital resident in the UK and that he is working or receiving job seekers allowance. He will need to register with a local GP, open a bank account in order to have proof of address, register for council tax to have the bill as proof of address and have proof of ownership of his home or tenancy agreement. If he is relocating it is imperative that he shows evidence he has left Perth and making UK his home again. To register with a GP he will need to complete this form:

I hope this is useful to you and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience.

Dont worry about the call, all customers get an auto offer as some customers prefer to speak, you can ignore the offer it will lapse with time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Should you have found my response useful please kindly take a few seconds to rate by clicking on the row of stars at the top to enable JA to acknowledge your feedback and my input. Wishing your brother all the best, ***** ***** be easy to be dealing with moving and also being unwell.

SolicitorRM and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a new question: my brother has a UK passport and an Australian passport. On his visit to UK next May, will he be entitled to receive emergency medical cover if he gets ill with one of his pre existing conditions. He has lived in Australia since 1982. His travel insurance excludes all present health conditions.

He will be entitled to emergency treatment yes, they will not turn him away at A &E, he is a british national, unless he renounced his citizenship which from the information you have provided I do not get the impression that he did.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about if he gets ill on the flight with one of his pre existing conditions

That it is a pre-exisitng condition is relevant to his insurance policy, he does not even have to refer to insurance when he is taken to a hospital A &E for treatment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much

You are welcome. All the best