How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 52471
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now

Currently in AUS and renting my house in the UK. We have

This answer was rated:

Currently in AUS and renting my house in the UK. We have just begun to rent our house out to a family member (below market rate). We are being slammed by AUS tax because of the property in the UK. What would be the impact of informing them that the house is being rented to a family member?Will it affect us claiming for expenses?
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to speak to a tax expert from aus

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

If you are living in Australia you have to declare all your income world wide. Australia and the UK have a Tax treaty to avoid double taxation

You cannot do your own tax returns in australia you need a Certified accountant that understands these treaties and how to deal with the tax paid in the UK

You cannot claim the expenses in both countries.

You claim them in the UK

The figure being the taxable income is what you use here and then the tax you paid in the UK is also noted in Australia.

But you need an accountant to prepare your returns.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by rating my work 5 stars so I can be paid. Highlight the 5 stars at the top and click the submit button.

Thank you for using Justanswer and I look forward to assist in the future as required.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that, we have and are being slammed in AUS for our UK property. The question I did have was would it make any difference if a relative in the house at a reduce rate? If it doesn't and we will have to pay in the 100's again, it isn't worth declaring. Our rent in the UK now is approx 18K (UK) previously it was 26k. I pay the ATO $100 a month for my Income tax 551 and 001 PAYG (my wife pays more).Will declaring we have a relative rather than a tenant make a difference?

Good Evening

It makes no difference who rents from you.

It is income earning and you have to pay tax.

If you do not receive income then you do not pay tax on it. It is the income you pay tax on

Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 52471
Experience: 24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
Leon and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you