How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 52423
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now

Im looking for help with 820 partner Visa to Australia, Im a

This answer was rated:

Im looking for help with 820 partner Visa to Australia
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Im a british citizen my partner is an Australian citizen
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: No not yet im trying to gather information
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that we dont meet the requirements of the defacto relationship requirements

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

What is the issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 33 and a UK resident now living in the Uk my partner is 38 and an Aussie citizen we met last November when i was on a WHV which ended and i had to leave. For the defacto Visa you have to prove you have lived together and shared financial burden for 12 months. My and I live apart in separate countries so we will never be able to prove defacto. We are both too old now for WHV. How do we apply for a partner visa if we cant claim defacto status

You have to show a relatinship for 12 months.

At the moment that is going to be hard. But phone calls emails etc all count.

Any visa you apply for at the moment is an issue because you cannot enter.

You have to wait and keep contact.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah we would have to wait til November/December anyway but we are trying to learn as much about it as possible in the meantime. I know keeping in contact while apart counts but we can't ever prove that we have lived together and are trying to find out how much that is going to impact our application

you have to show they have continued.

phone calls.

evidence of the contact

without this there is no hope

evidence from people that saw you together when you were here that also helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so its possible to get the partner visa without proving defacto living arrangements and shared finances?

You do not have to live together only show there is a genuine relationship

Friends that saw you together can give evidence.

Since leaving showing the calls etc you have

but it has to be over a 12 month period

If you had planned to come back or she planned to come see you that is also evidence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great, that gives us some hope at least! Thank you

All the best and good luck

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by rating my work 5 stars so I can be paid. Highlight the 5 stars at the top and click the submit button.

Thank you for using Justanswer and I look forward to assist in the future as required.


Leon and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you