How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 23
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

for Att of Law Denning Hello I have engaged a tax consultant

Customer Question

for Att of Law Denning


I have engaged a tax consultant who I believe may not be a member of any registered organisations.

He has carried out work for the last 8 months which after consulting a further 2 tax consultants does not equate to the work carried out and charged for (ie 90k -1 years accounts)

I have spoken to a accounting body who have suggested that I may have the work carried out assessed and consider legal action to recover the amount already paid and to negate any further invoices (I have found out from other individuals that this person normally charges a “termination fee” )

If this person (limited company) is not a member of any regulatory body do I still have any redress? I have spoken to trading standards and the say the sum involved (over 90k for ) is a little out of their scope.

I have now discovered other individuals who have also been in the same position and cut their losses and moved on. (A bit too late I have found out he seems to do this often).

Assuming that this person/company is not a member of any regulatory bodies is there anywhere I could report them?

I notice that a few of the bad reviews that have popped up online with people in the same situation have quickly been removed from the Internet.

I have now engaged another tax consultant (registered this time) and he requires the files that are being held by the previous consultant. It appears I may have to pay the final invoice of £11,588 for the final 9 days alleged work that they claim was carried out.


I if I pay this amount in order to release the files is there any wording that I would send with payment that would indicate that this amount is paid under duress and would leave it open for me to dispute at a further time ?

I intend to settle the invoice via a solicitor where the files that are in his possession are delivered to the solicitor and after checking that all my files are present I can ask the solicitor to release the funds.

In court or eyes of the law, who would be considered a competent person to assess the work carried out?

Can any discounts applied on invoices during the course of his work of be applied now (as he is threatening this and it would equate to a further 90k being added. I have communicated with a previous customer who has moved from him and this was her experience.) ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm very sorry but Law Denning is no longer available to answer questions. Would you like us to try to find another Professional to assist you?

If so, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Nicola
That is a shame, yes I am looking for some specific law guidance ie what law can I quote.

I have already posted this question before and It was picked up by alex but I need a more specific answer rather than just general advice,

Yes if you can post it again that would be great, one thing if an expert offers to answer that has answered before and I do not wish them to proceed with answering the question, how can I let them know that I do not wish them to answer.?

Many thanks Sarah
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If a professional answers and you would prefer a different Expert, you may ask the first professional to "opt out" of the question for other experts.

Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Hello I have posted this for Jane as she is away from the office today. could i ask you to opt out of this question as i see you have answered the question previously. Many thanks

Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
Sure. Please do not reply as it comes back to my Inbox and the system thinks you are stuck.