How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Max Lowry Your Own Question
Max Lowry
Max Lowry, Advocate
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 1457
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Max Lowry is online now

Hello It is coming up to a year since I was made bankrupt Will

This answer was rated:

It is coming up to a year since I was made bankrupt
Will I automatically be discharged or do I need to do anything or will it be longer or can it be longer for any reason.
Hi, welcome to the site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with your question. Unless the OR has made an application to suspend your automatic discharge (or such an order has already been made which you should probably know about) there should be no reason why you will not be automatically discharged on the 1st anniversary of the bankruptcy order. You can check with the Official Receiver's if you are unsure or need confirmation.

I hope this helps

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have a trustee and assume the same applies that if they have extended it they would need to tell me?

There will still be outstanding assets to sell but I assume this isn't reason to extend my bankruptcy?

I have not been asked to sign any payment scheme either (probably because I can't earn any money whilst I'm bankrupt) so assume they can't on that front as well.



Yes, this also applies when a trustee in bankruptcy is appointed over your estate.

If there are outstanding assets this will have no bearing on being discharged.

An application for an income payments order must be made before discharge. After discharge such an application cannot be made.

Kind regards
Max Lowry and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you