How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Bankruptcy, liquidations, administrations, pre pack sales, re use of company names and director duties and offences.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Hello My trustees have disclaimed their interest in a property

This answer was rated:

My trustees have disclaimed their interest in a property my wife and I own (lease hold). I have been told I need to apply for a vesting order, which a solicitor is happy to do but for a large fee. What happens if nothings happens? The freeholders are not going to pursue anything as far as I believe and my wife and I are now no longer bankrupt.
many thanks

Thank you.

If you do not claim the property it will end up going to the Treasury Solicitor until it is reclaimed.

If you do not want to pay a solicitor you could try bringing the application yourself. There is a guidance note here from the treasury solicitor.

You will have to pay the fees of the Treasury Solicitor or Attorney General in any event, which is normally just an administration fee.

Have you contacted the treasury solicitor and confirmed that they will consent to this?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you

Who would be allowed to reclaim it as I have a mortgage on it?

What is the Treasury Solicitor or Attorney General?


Thank you.

The treasury solicitor basically holds all property that effectively no longer has an owner until someone can come along and prove ownership to it (i.e with a vesting order). When property exists like this it is known as Bona Vacantia -

The Attorney General is just an office of this, it effectively gives legal advice to the Government.

As you are maintaining a mortgage on the property, I would recommend that you have it vested in you, because you could potentially be in breach of your mortgage deed.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you