How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a debt still outstanding which I contacted you about

Customer Question

I have a debt still outstanding which I contacted you about in early February, which as advised I wrote a letter to the debtor "letter before action". The debtor has now paid a bit more off the debt which now stands at £4,540 and has said in a responding email to me "That is entirely up to you.
I will notify you, and when required, the court, of the disputed amount once I have been through all of the daily records."What is my next course of action as the debt has not been settled in full? I have given the debtor the option last week , to make a full and final settlement offer and have not had a response.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Alex,I have said that the outstanding claim is £4,540, so I can go through small claims court? What will be the cost going down this route and are there different forms?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Small claim, fast track and multi track. Small claims is most cost effective.Does that clarify?Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: