12826847

A very dear friend has been a victim of ID fraud. Her

Customer Question

Hi,A very dear friend has been a victim of ID fraud. Her details were used by her husband to obtain credit card without her knowledge. She has recently found out that the balance on credit card is £ 15,000 which was shocking.She does not wish to report this matter to police at the moment as this would mean great amount of emotional distress as she just had child birth recently and the impostor is her husband.Before taking any extreme action she wants to know that is it possible that balance can be transferred to husband credit card and he deals with the debt himself by accepting the responsibility ?Husband suggested (after the argument they had after finding out) that they should transfer it to a joint balance and gradually try to pay to debt agency.But obliviously after what he has done he is not trustworthy anymore.I suggested her to ask him to transfer all the balance his card and let him deal with the bank or any debt collection agency himself. Would that be possible and what would be the procedure ?Thanks in advance
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

He can just phone them and pay her balance using his card.

Some credit card companies do refuse payment from another visa card but not often.

If he is willing then that would resolve this issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jo,Thank you very much for your quick response.I suppose if he had funds in his visa account he would not have had taken this credit card using wife's details so it is unlikely he will be payoff from his visa account as you have suggested ?What I meant to ask was that can't he take a new credit card in his own name and then transfer the balance onto his ?He would definitely make lame excuses that he is not able to get credit but I am sure he had credit cards in past and his credit limit can be checked.Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If not possible to transfer balance is there any other way such as taking out a personal loan to pay the balance on the credit card ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

if he has credits on any account or can obtain credit then he can do this.

He can apply for personal credit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Balance transfer from one person's card to other can be done ? Isn't the balance transfer restricted to cards within held by one person ?Sorry i personally never had a credit card so do not know thisThanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

No. Another person can pay off the credit of another if they choose.

Obviously he would have to consent and he may not but that is different points.

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer