Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I left the UK 2 years ago, I divorce two years ago and my

I left the UK 2 years ago, I divorce two years ago and my ex-wife has all the UK property. HMRC will claim a large amount from me in a few months. My question is whether
1. HMRC can still claim or put a charge on my ex-wife's property?
2. Do they need to sue me bankruptcy before they can do that? Is there any other way?
3. I know if someone is not in the UK for 3 years, then you can not sue him/her bankruptcy, is that right.Overall, my question is after 3 year outside UK, can HMRC still put a charge on my ex-wife's property.
My situation is a bit complicated, thanks for your answer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please continue your search.
Hi thank you for your message the answers are as follows:
1. No, if the debt relates to you not her and the property is solely in her name
2. No, they could obtain a CCJ for the debt and then enforce this using a charging order but see 1.
3. It depends whether you are in EU or Denmark, yes. If not then no.
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Nicola, thanks for your answer. I am almost clear now.
1.The property is under my ex-wife's solo title. Before we were joint owner, afer the divorce, she is the solo owner. The debt is on my name. So your advice is that they can not touch the property, unless they make me bankrupcy.
2. I am not in EU. I am in Asia, so they can not make me bankrupt after leaving UK.
3. Is there another way HMRC can sue me and trace the debt to claim from my ex-wife's property, except bankruptcy?
Hi thank you for your message, 1. They cannot touch the property because the property is in your ex wife’s name only but the debt is in your name. 2. Correct 3. They cannot claim against your ex wife’s property
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience: Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney