F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years in general practice.
18203470

How do I get my stuff if the company storing it has gone

How do I get my stuff if the company storing it has gone bankrupt. They also charged me for storage after receivership started. How do I claim against them? I have the usual incomplete list saying ‘box’ but no details of contents. Only 2 containers but sentimental things in there that can’t be replaced. Other things worth a lot of money. Also probate paperwork in store which gov may want to inspect. They have 7 years.

I have been asked to look at this for you. The company cannot charge you after it has gone into liquidation BUT the liquidator can.

Whoever is charging you is the one that will be able to give you access.

Because of the difficulties of dealing with the liquidator, you might want to remove your goods from storage and find somewhere else.

Storage companies do not normally list the contents of boxes. It would normally simply say just that.

I’m not really certain what the problem is here because this should be quite straightforward.

I am only going to be online sporadically for the rest of the day and therefore, I may be delayed getting back to you if needed.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES

F E Smith, Solicitor
Experience: 30 years in general practice.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks. However, I don’t know where my stuff is and I’ve actually moved now. Only found out when I asked to arrange for delivery of it. All been done wrong. The company that is supposed to have it aren’t sure until they look into containers but I’ve been here 4 weeks now and no stuff.

You mentioned the company that have it. You haven’t mentioned that before.

You need to press them now to find it because what it appears as happened, is they have taken over/purchased/inherited a whole load of stuff from storage and they don’t know what it is.

I emphasise however that if they simply take you to a container or a room and say, “that’s your stuff in there help yourself” that is probably about as much as you could hope for.

If they don’t actually know where your stuff is, then you need to be threatening legal proceedings against them because whilst they may not with a company that is gone into liquidation, they have taken over the assets and in my opinion, they take over the liability quite simply because they have taken control of your items albeit in amongst with everything else.

You may find that they take more notice if that letter comes from a solicitor and for the sake of a couple of hundred quid, instructing the solicitor and getting the solicitor to send off the first couple of threatening letters, threatening a court application and costs, you may find it money well spent.