JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Four years ago my son had a breakdown and continuous ill

Four years ago my son had a breakdown and continuous ill health after his money worries,. marriage breakup, death of his friend and subsequent loss of his job. He was unable to continue a Step Change plan in which he had started to pay back some of a £38,000 debt which was owing to credit cards and the bank..
One of the creditors, the bank to whom he.owed about £11,000 has recently been in touch, recognises his ill health and unemployment state and said they will contact him again in, now, about three months'time..
I have heard that after a certain time, people's debts are written off.
Is this true please ?

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Yes, if there are no payments made (not even a token payment) and no contact with the lender (i.e. the borrower does NOT email them, send them a letter or speak to them), during a period of 6 years - the debt is then time-barred under the Limitation Act 1980. It is vital that no payments and no contact is made to the lender during those 6 years - if it is then the time period starts to run again. If a debt is time-barred it then means the debt cannot be enforced through the courts (the lender cannot get a CCJ and they cannot use bailiffs, etc to enforce it).

I hope this helps – if you can please rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars (the top of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim