How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 17606
Experience:  30 years in general practice.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

A debtor is selling her apartment. Is there any way to put a

This answer was rated:

A debtor is selling her apartment.
Is there any way to put a claim on proceeds from the sale of the debtor's apartment without first bankrupting the debtor? Bankruptcy would most likely lead to a lot of creditors seeking payment

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need some time to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

are you a creditor?

and what does she owe you?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am a creditor. She owes me 63 thousand pounds in personal loans and 230 thousand pounds in property deposits which she fraudulently claimed to make on my behalf but turned out to be a scam.

If the creditor agrees, that you can put a legal charge against the property but if there is an existing lender they may have a restriction preventing that. You would need to look at the title deeds charges register.

You can get the title deed and the plan quickly and easily by using this link:!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

and you will have to pay 3 pounds for the title deed and 3 pounds for the plan.

You will then have them in minutes if not seconds.

Otherwise it’s a case of going to court and getting a County Court judgement and then making a further application for a charging order and that will get registered against the property anyway.

The process is relatively straightforward although you want it done properly, it is a job for a local solicitor. They shouldn’t charge more than a few hundred pounds because of the amount of money involved here, I would suggest you go down that route.

I’m afraid that we are specifically not allowed to take instructions from here.

If the site were to be a source of potential clients, we would no longer be independent because we would have an interest in pursuing litigation. With no interest in pursuing litigation, we can be really objective with our view is to whether something has a good chance or a limited chance of success.

In any event, for logistical reasons you would be better using a local solicitor .

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Thank you.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you. It's not impossible she would agree I put a legal charge against the property. How would I do that?
If it goes the CCJ route would my legal costs be added to what she owes me? Is the CCJ you mention re the property charge or an order to pay me back my money? If the latter, it was my understanding that due to the large sum I would have to do this in high court and the associated costs could set me back 50-150 thousand in legal costs with no guarantee of payment (she has no assets besides a legal claim to a % of the property).

The process is not for the fainthearted although it’s not an uncommon question and therefore I have a standard cut-and-paste answer which is below: a solicitor would probably charge under GBP500 plus VAT plus the land registry fee:

Because of the amount of money involved here I wouldn’t suggest for one moment that you did it yourself. Get a solicitor. I am not a lover of lining solicitors pockets but in this case they are a necessary evil.

If she accepts that she owes the money, then it would be ludicrous for her to go to court and defend it because all that will happen is she will have a whole load of costs on top.

So if she accepts that she owes the money, she would be better giving you the legal charge.

Here is the form for legal charges:

and the practice guide:

and you also need AP1

and ID1

for all the parties involved.

There needs to be one of the latter forms for each person involved. It needs a passport sized photograph certified by a solicitor as being a true likeness. This is not needed if solicitors are doing the job but the solicitors will want different ID, usually a passport or driving licence and 1 or 2 utility bills.

There is also the Land Registry fee based upon the value of the house which is here:

Use scale 1 fees.

Back to the court costs, there are only going to be gargantuan legal costs if she defends the action.

F E Smith and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you