RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

Hounded by the tax man

Customer Question

Hounded by the tax man
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.

Can you outline your issue specifically for me please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Back around 2010 ish my accountant at the time put us on a tax scheme that he sold to us being ""what all the footballers do"" made it sound all glamourous and cosher when in fact it seems to be some kind of tax avoidance scheme. Unrelated in 2014 i lost my business and ended up going bankrupt. The loans in this scheme were added to the bankruptcy order and written off, but they still come at me i been abroad for a few years and came back last year. Just got a letter to fill in a self assessment form for 2018 2019 on the back of the scheme i was in. Can i sue the accountant who put us on this scheme? he badgered us to go into it as he got money for doing it
Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  If the accountant has acted negligently in applying this to you, then yes you could take legal action to recover any losses incurred as a result of their negligence.  If this claim is under the value of £10k you can use the small claims process.  Prior to intimating small claim proceedings, you will require to send a letter to the respondent.  It is a simple letter stating that if they do remedy the matter as you have outlined (in the same letter), you will take legal action against them.  This is referred to as a. pre-action protocol letter.  You can complete the forms for a claims action easily online.  You will have to highlight what the issues are and tell them how much you are claiming for, to be honest the first are straight forward and self-explanatory.   If you feel you can do this yourself then you don’t really need to hire a solicitor, but I will provide details for you in case you feel you want to.  You will then receive a response to the claim and a court date.  On the day (unless they offer a settlement) you will appear at the local court and basically provide your evidence and give you claim to the judge, and they will response.  The judge will assess the merits of the claim and defence and make a judgement this may be relatively easy for you to prove so the respondent may well offer a settlement in the meantime.  In terms of evidence, ensure you keep copies of all correspondence, photo’s, social media items etc. you have in connection with the claim.   These can be used to strengthen your case and will be considered in evidence by the court at the hearing.  The strength of your evidence may also help to obtain an ex-judicial settlement.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.