How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TheLawLDN Your Own Question
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 195
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
TheLawLDN is online now

I don't know whether you deal with these things but I've had

Customer Question

Hi, I don't know whether you deal with these things but I've had a LoC against me and I need a solicitor. Do you offer free legal advice for half hour or so?
JA: Was a protective order issued? What were the basic terms?
Customer: So it's about some debt I supposedly owe (which isn't solely my debt, it's also other housemates and the money never came from my account) from 3 years ago with SSE. SSE are now going after just me even though the money never came from my account thus I can't prove we were paying for the electric bill
JA: Is there ongoing abuse or harassment? Were the police called?
Customer: No, but the fact is they have provided no proof that I owe this amount, they're just saying I owe this amount. Like I said the money didn't come from my account - I wasn't the lead payer
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't really know what else to say, it's hard for me to fight this because I don't have all the information necessary as like I said I wasn't the lead payer. How much will it cost me to speak to a lawyer?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

  1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I will try to assist with your query.

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 19 days ago.

First of all, let me say that I am sorry you are experiencing this annoying circumstances.

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 19 days ago.

You say this debt is "shared" by housemates. Do you mean that there were multiple tenants?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
there were multiple tenants. I remember it being a top up metre so we would take turns topping it up. but I assume there were standing charges coming from the lead tenant's account or something. I have a bond declaration proving we left the property, actually on 30 June 2019. I believe the period they're saying is between July- September 2019 although they don't mention on the letter. The thing is whatever those charges were were not coming from my account. I believe we actually cancelled with SSE just before we left
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 19 days ago.
What is the amount SSE is claiming?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 19 days ago.

Was the tenancy in the name of all tenants? Even if there was a lead tenant, I mean.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I believe we each had our own agreements
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 19 days ago.

It 2019 sorry, how can you not know?

Anyway, the account with SSE, under whose name was it?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I'm not entirely sure, as I don't think I had access to the account. It's hard because I don't have all the necessary information, but they're still chasing me for it!
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 19 days ago.

You have the right to know the information about the account.

You should ask send them an email in which you say that you don't owe them any sum as you never had a contract with them and ask them to provide you with the information, and documents, based on which they are chasing you.

I see that you tried to book a live call, is it right?

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 19 days ago.

Sorry, I meant "You should send them an email..."

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok, I think I will do that. Thank you for the advice! What should I do if they don't co-operate though?
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 19 days ago.

If you want a live call, you must book it through your account and I will be able to call you using JA integrated calling feature.

In case, let me know what time you could be available to speak tomorrow.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
How much will it cost me?
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 19 days ago.

I do not know. You should ask the Customer Service about that. I am a consultant.

If SSE do not cooperate, try to speak with Citizens Advice Bureau (which advises free of charge) or you'll need to speak with a solicitor.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok, thank you.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 19 days ago.

I will close this conversation then.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish.