DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

About 2 years ago I had a sigmoidoscopy due to unusual

Customer Question

Hello. About 2 years ago I had a sigmoidoscopy due to unusual bleeding when having bowel movements. After the examination they said everything was fine. A couple of months ago I went to the doctors and they mentioned I had a polyp which was found in the procedure but they never removed it or mentioned this to me? Why would they not remove it? I’ve always suffered with my bowels with constant Diarrhea and cramps even before my gallbladder was removed. Should I be concerned?
Category: Bariatrics
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** your query, will be replying in few seconds please. DrVasavada

Once a polyp is found, it is usual to follow it up with repeat scopy exams at periodic interval. A biopsy is also taken if there is any suspicion of malignant transformation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I remember all the doctors said to me was if nothing was found I might just have ulcerative colitis and that was the last thing to do with that situation. When I questioned the polyp the doctor stressed it wasn’t anything to worry about but when I read online everyone else mentions theirs was removed. I’m just a bit worried as I’ve always suffered with my digestive system and bowels. Do you think I should speak to my doctor about it?

Best is to remove solitary polyp and one can forget about it. If left, has to be serially inspected.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay thank you

You are welcome. Good luck.