DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

I just woke up having had a choking experience, from what I

Customer Question

Hi there,I just woke up having had a choking experience, from what I believe is GERD, or something similar. Its happened a few times in my life, and I can to an extent control the panic my body gets into, and I know to try to breath through my nose if the back of my throat seems to have shut of from stomach acid.However what seems to be happening, which has happened as well a few times so I sort of know what to do know, but still not great.Is that I wake up gasping for air, I try to breath through my nose or mouth but I can't take any air in. What seems to have happened is that while I was asleep because the stomach acid hit the back of my throat it shut my airway off and I've breathed lots of air inside my stomach. So I basically choke struggling to breath or get any air in, and the only point I can get any relief or air into my lungs is after I burp or pottentially throw up (thankfully thats not happened yet).But its extremely hard to burp when your gasping for air, eventually I do after getting tiny bits of air inside, then I can start to breath again. Often I'll have the taste of acidic vomit at the back of my throat that take a lot of time to go away, with sips of water, and coughing (which sometimes make me almost heave because of the taste). Once the tastes mostly gone I have a few gulps of gaviscon liquid, and that really helps obviously.I guess my question is how to stop having these horrible attacks. I know I need to eat better, and that certainly helps, but even after eating healty meals I've had this sometimes. Or for example the other day just bending forward and down, to pick up a golf ball, while playing crazy golf sent a shot of stomach contents (like vomit) to the back of my throat. Which seems very odd as I'd been standing upwright for hours, and the previous meal was many hours before.It seems like my LES muscle that stops the stomach contents coming back up doesn't work very well.I'm a little concerned that one day it'll happen and I won't be able to burb or get a breath in before I pass out, as I'm already waking up in a heavily oxygen deprived state. Please can I get some advice.Thank you
Paul
Category: Bariatrics
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess my question is how to stop having these horrible attacks. I know I need to eat better, and that certainly helps, but even after eating healty meals I've had this sometimes. Or for example the other day just bending forward and down, to pick up a golf ball, while playing crazy golf sent a shot of stomach contents (like vomit) to the back of my throat. Which seems very odd as I'd been standing upwright for hours, and the previous meal was many hours before.It seems like my LES muscle that stops the stomach contents coming back up doesn't work very well.I'm a little concerned that one day it'll happen and I won't be able to burb or get a breath in before I pass out, as I'm already waking up in a heavily oxygen deprived state. Please can I get some advice.Thank you
Paul
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** your query, will be replying in few seconds please. DrVasavada

Paul, it would help if you take frequently half a glass of plain water - keep ready at bedside and going outdoors also. Renitidine taken 3 days every week may also cure.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have plain water always at my bedside.Is there anything other than just taking a proton pump inhibitor drug

Then you have to use antacid like gaviscon very often say every 3 hours of waking time.