Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, Doctor
Experience:  MB ChB DRCOG
106915327

I am experiencing daily nausea. I have a hiatus hernia and

Hi,I am experiencing daily nausea. I have a hiatus hernia and my GP thinks that this is the cause. I have been prescribed a medication that is stronger than lansoprazole. Could a hiatus hernia really cause daily nausea to this degree? I am having to rely on anti sickness tablets daily. Many thanks.

Thanks for your query, what medication have you been given?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi, thank you. I have been prescribed Esomeprazole 40mg gastro resistant capsules. Thanks.

Ok, its debatable if thats stronger as Lansoprazole 30mg is just as good

Hiatus hernia if large can cause nausea, but so can other conditions like Helicobacter pylori, which is a stomach infection, or Gallstones

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it. Is it ok to take Cyclizine for extended periods? It is the only thing that helps. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I should mention that I have had a gastroscopy and everything was ok. This nausea just won't go away and I am getting very concerned.

ok, a gastroscopy is reassuring as they would have excluded bacterial infection or anything sinister

Have you had an abdominal ultrasound>

You can take cyclizin for long as some pregnant women or those with other conditions take it long term

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** good to hear. I have had a CT scan in the past 18 months of the abdominal area and all was normal. I have also had bloods and an x-ray of the chest. I just don't understand why I feel nausea every day. My hernia is probably a medium size. Many thanks.

Then it would be the hernia, and in some cases you might need surgery

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Would losing weight reduce the nausea? I am overweight and losing weight. I do know people who do not have weight issues who have hiatus hernias. Thanks.

losing weight, avoid large meals, avoid eating late at ngiht, avoid alcohol and smoking - all aim to help as lifestyle changes

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you. I don't drink or smoke. I do need to lose a lot of weight. Can fat around the stomach cause nausea? Thank you.

No fat around the stomach does not cause nausea,, it must be the hiatus hernia

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you. Is it common for people with hiatus hernias to feel nausea? As I have had one for a while, but there was no nausea at first. Is this because it may have become bigger?

yes, nausea is the main reason why patients tend to have surgery done when nothing else works

Hernia can change in size

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you. Is there any chance that a hernia can shrink?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Also, can wheat aggravate a hiatus hernia when I am intolerant yet not allergic? Thank you.

late meals, heavy meals, alcohol, smoking, coffee, tight clothes, obesity can aggravte hiatus hernia

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

no worries