Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

Is it normal to feel pain upon eating pureed food?

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for your question.

It is not normal to experience pain after eating anything. Can you provide a little more information regarding your question please.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello I had a gastric sleeve operation on the 25th of September. I was advised that I as I am at the three week mark, I can eat pureed food. I tried for the first time yesterday and today, however it is quite painful
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am not over eating, nor eating quickly, but it hurts when I swallow it and can feel the food going down, but it is a painful experience
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Also I am not drinking fluids whilst I am eating, I have been quite careful

Okay thank you. Are you taking either Omeprazole or Lansoprazole?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am taking Raneks
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I had my surgery abroad...I have also had rashes and itching on my back

Okay thank you. So Rebeprazole is not commonly used in the UK, however the dose may need to be increased as what you are describing is likely related to reflux and possibly gastritis.

I am not sure a rash would be related to this, and it is not common side effect of this class of medication.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Currently I am taking 20mg of Raneks. Shall I switch to Omeprazole?

I would suggest having your dose reviewed, but also may be worth getting a test for H.Pylori as this requires antibiotics and may be present following your surgery.

This can be tested with a stool sample. Yes I would use Omeprazole as more easily available.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I see, thank you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What dose of Omeprazole do you recommend? is it more gentle than Raneks?

Not necessarily, but you can get it in 10mg to 40mg, I would recommend 20mg for a week and increase if necessary. Would also be worth discussing this with a pharmacist regarding opening the capsule and swallowing it with soft puree instead.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay thank you