Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My 7 year old had tummy cramps and sucking up bile.

Customer Question

My 7 year old had tummy cramps and sucking up bile. Initially had a temperature but not now. He seems to get a little batter then the cramps re appear and seem worse this morning, it started yesterday.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Sicking
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Bariatrics
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He is not vomiting anything up, just feels a pain now in his tummy and gags as if needs to be sick.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 12 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I still have not received an answer?

Hello, sorry I was offline for some time. My apologies. I will now post your answer.

He may be having an episode of acid reflux. This is common in children and usually occurs due to something he ate.

Steps to take for him are:

-Give him sips of ice cold water throughout the day from time to time. This will cool the stomach tissue and decrease acid secretion. Ice-creams and cold custard also work, plus since they are semisolid, they have less chances of trickling upwards.

- Take 4-5 small meals instead of 3 major meals. Ice-cold rice pudding is ideal for him.

- Avoid greasy, fried food

- Pro the head end of his bed with a pillow instead of flat on the bed to prevent acid reflux.

- As soon as he wakes up in the morning and before getting up from bed, give him 2-3 dry crackersto nibble at. These will absorb whatever acid and gas has collected in his stomach overnight. Let him lie quietly in bed for another 30 minutes(if you can get him to do that of course!).

- Liquid and solid food is not to taken together. Liquids are to be taken at least 1 hour after solids.

- Do not let him to do anything that can cause gastric acid to flow upwards, watch during play so that he does not ‘stand’ on his head, does not try to touch toes, etc.

This could also be an episode of viral gastroenteritis or stomach flu. The treatment is essentially the same.

However if symptoms persist or become severe, you should take him to the hospital.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti