Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My budgerigar has been lethargic for the last 24 hours it started

My budgerigar has been lethargic for the last 24 hours it started with diarrhoea and he appeared to be trying to vomit he has eaten and drunk very little over this time and just sits on his perch with his head tucked into his wing now it seems as if he is constipated he does not appear to be in pain although he has become aggressive if I put my finger into his cage whereas he is normally a very friendly bird
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry your bird is feeling this way! Whenever a bird is acting other than normal in anyway including fluffed up, sitting on the bottom of the cage, lethargic (sleeping too much or low energy), has watery stool, decreased eating, behavior changes, or not preening it means they are sick, very sick. In this case he has the symptoms of lethargy, watery stool and behavior changes. Unfortunately for all of us it does not specify any certain disease in fact it can be many diseases but it does signal that he feels terrible. The bad thing about this is the same symptoms can be a minor cold or serious life threatening illness like a severe bacterial infection, liver disease, or heart disease among other problems. The best thing you can do is keep your bird's environment warm (over 80F) and see your vet ASAP. If your bird stops eating then you need to go today/tonight on emergency. If you can't make it to the vet the only thing OTC that can have any benefit is AVIx booster, the instructions are on the label. http://store.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/OMEGA-3-BOOSTER/productinfo/O3BOOSTER/

The best thing is the vet ASAP otherwise try the supplement. I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan