Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

A few weeks ago I found a wild pigeon with a droopy wing. I

Customer Question

Hi, so a few weeks ago I found a wild pigeon with a droopy wing. I couldn't afford to bring him to an avian vet so I got some advice online and wrapped up his wing. I left it on for 20 days. I took it off tonight and he has not moved his wing. Is it too late to bring him to the vet? Can you reset his wing a second time? Any advice would be great!! Claire
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Claire, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you extend this wing to the extent that you extend his other wing? Have you looked under the wing for an open wound which might indicate a compound fracture? Have you take this bird outside and seen if it can fly? To answer you directly, an avian vet (www.aav.org) would need to X-ray the wing to determine how, or if, any treatment would be necessary. "Resetting" a wing and applying internal fixators is rarely attempted if only because of the cost involved in doing so but pins, wires, and plates can be used to repair fractures. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.