Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a Massachusetts licensed veterinarian with a special interest in exotic pets and wildlife.
63065003

My Senegal was rescued. No idea or his age. Split ring on

My Senegal was rescued. No idea or his age. Split ring on his right leg says "R BIRDS" - what does that mean, if anything please?

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently, I'm reviewing your question and will be back to you in a few minutes.

Unfortunately, the last time that bird bands meant something standard in the United States was before 1992 when the United States allowed the importation of wild parrots. Imported birds had standardized leg bands but there has been no standard since. Most bird bands are either identifying the breeder who bred the birds or more likely, in this case, the pair of birds that birthed this birds. Pair R for example. Unfortunately, this band gives us no clue on his age. I hope this helps, even if disappointing. If it didn't help please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But Nobby & I are in the UK?

Sorry about that, my screen said you are in the U.S.

I'll opt out for UK vet to help you.

Sorry

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
8220;R3R BIRDS” black coating was previously on ring
Greetings. I can confirm that the band your bird has is the band applied by the breeder. The ID “R3R” is a code which identifies that specific breeder. Unfortunately, there is no public database of avian breeders available in the UK.Here is a link with useful information about bird bands in the UK.https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/leg-ring-identification-information.15153/To try and identify what breeder your pet bird cane from you can contact the pet store or person you purchased them from. They might be able to provide information for you. In addition, you can try contacting bird band manufacturers who may or may not disclose the name of the breeder if they made bands for them. Here is a link to a band manufacturer in the UK.https://www.avianid.co.uk/Finally, the Partit Society of the UK might know the code for the ID on your band. Here is a link to their organization.http://www.theparrotsocietyuk.org/foRum/viewtopic.php?t=1519I hope this information proves helpful and useful for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. SEEYA!Dr. Adamski
Parrot Society not partit society... sorry
I am writing to confirm you received my reply and it answered your question. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.Dr. Adamski
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian
Experience: I am a Massachusetts licensed veterinarian with a special interest in exotic pets and wildlife.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.