Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My daughters cockatiel is very poorly would there be any

Hi my daughters cockatiel is very poorly would there be any place you could suggest for us to take it to tonight please
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bird?
Customer: Not drinking and eating today eyes closed all the time it's being sick and got runs
Assistant: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Its called woody it's just over 5 months old
Assistant: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Woody
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Woody?
Customer: I dont think so the bird is usually active

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I will review your question and get back to you ASAP with a response

Sorry to hear that Woody is unwell tonight. Is the food he is bringing up digested or undigested? What colour is the diarrhoea? Which part of the country are you in? I will see if I can find there nearest suitable avian vet in your area.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Chris the food is undigested and the diarrhoea is a whiteish colour we are in Manchester England we have just had a vet ring us but unfortunately it is to expensive for my daughter they wanted £200 before treatment she is on benefits

Yes out of hours services can be expensive, also you are unlikely to find an out of hours avian vet at this time. Undigested food could indicate regurgitation rather than vomiting, white poo suggests an increase in urate production, this could be due to dehydration or a kidney problem.

The best thing you can do in this situation is to try and keep him hydrated overnight, if possible try syringing a little water or diaoralyte into his mouth every few hours. Then tomorrow morning try to find an exotics vet to take him to as soon as you can it looks like there are a few in manchester. I hope that helps, let me know if you have any further questions.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's ok thank you we have sorted it now thanks

Ok you're welcome. If I can do anything else to help then feel.free to.message again.

Chris