Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My budgie has diarrhoea and vomiting Assistant: I'll do all

Hi my budgie has diarrhoea and vomiting
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your bird eat anything unusual?
Customer: He had some dill last night
Assistant: What is your bird's name and age?
Customer: Kiki and is about 3 months old
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kiki?
Customer: He has been inactive on his perch, let's me touch him without reacting

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I will review your question and get back to you ASAP with a response

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Can I ask if the vomiting is digested or undigested food? And what colour was the diarrhoea?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The vomiting is watery and from what I saw had a bit of seed but mainly clear. Same for the diarrhoea it's clear

Ok it sounds like vomiting rather than regurgitation. Vomiting/diarrhoea in budgies can occur for a number of reasons, it can be due to bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic infections, impaction in his crop or dietary changes. If he doesn't normally have dill in his diet then this might have upset him, in which case signs should improve quickly over the next 24hours, however his lethargy does concern me and I would consider if possible taking him to a vet (ideally one that specialises in birds) for a check over.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** meantime is there anything I can do to help him?

The most important thing is to try and keep him hydrated, if he will tolerate it then giving a little water or diaoralyte into his mouth every few hours may help, however if he is vomiting this could be difficult as it may not stay down. Severe fluid loss can be life threatening to such a small bird. I hope he starts to show signs of improvement soon.

Chris