Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have a rabbit and her eyes are wet under her actually eye

I have a rabbit and her eyes are wet under her actually eye like we’re her fur is - she asnt got a runny nose nor sneezing what do you think this could be

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Increased discharge from the eye can be due to conjunctivitis (infection in the eye) or due to tear duct blockage. In rabbits the tear ducts can commonly become blocked due to dental problems. I would advise having her checked by a vet to identify to reason for this and to ensure that she receives the correct treatment. I hope this answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help and advice.

If I could just trouble you to leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen. This enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No not useful at all ! Paid for this answer - when google told me this for free !!

I am happy to give you more detailed information if you like, just let me know what more you would like to know? A picture of the affected eye would help as well if you can send one?

Sorry to see that you rated my answer negatively, as I said I am happy to provide further information or discuss possible diagnoses in more detail with you, many thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you did sorry a didn’t see that part

Ok well to perhaps give you some more detailed information about this issue - Firstly it is important to note that ocular discharge in rabbits can be caused by a simple bacterial infection and if this is a fairly acute problem and the discharge is yellow/green and the eyes look red or sore then this could be the cause. However if this is a more chronic issue and the discharge is more clear/milky in colour then this is more suggestive of tear duct obstruction/blockage. In rabbits tear duct obstruction is often associated with tooth root disease, especially of the molar teeth and can be a sign of more serious issues.

Your vet can examine the eyes and teeth so see which is more likely to be the problem. They can also place a green dye into the eyes to see if it can drain down to the nostrils (known as the Jones test), failure to drain would indicate tear duct obstruction. They may also attempt to flush the tear ducts with a canula under local anaesthetic.

I hope this answers your question more adequately, please feel free to ask any follow up questions that you need to.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok no that’s brilliant advise - she’s eating and drinking perfectly fine just her eyes are runny there is no green yellow mucus coming from them and there not inflamed or red or sore she’s only a young rabbit and her teeth don’t look over grown just her eyes look wet we’re her fur is

Ok so this sounds more like tear overflow and possibly tear duct blockage. The back teeth are really hard to see without a special instrument to look inside the mouth and unfortunately dental issues can still affect young rabbits. Although not urgent I would still suggest getting her checked.

If you would be so kind as to maybe increasing my rating ;). You can still ask further questions afterwards if you need to.