Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I would like to ask you. i got 3 little cincilas and one has

hi, i would like to ask you. i got 3 little cincilas and one has 50g , is smaller than others. she is 11 days old. im giving to her extra milk because mum has enough with 3 of them. little one got infection in her eye. is most of the time close when im cleaning is open. may i ask what can help and if anything what can help to it to keep her alive please. mum is taking her thats not issue but she is very little and not often on breast. sorry that i choose birds in category but i did not find anything simile. thanks

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear of this problem with your chinchilla baby, would you be able to send me a picture of the affected eye?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i dont think so, because is noone who can hold for me.i got some pictures but is not eye there. but i think thats better. im just worry that she is not putting wight on also she got something on her nose. is like skin going off..i know is very difficult to help me. do you think i can carry on. i will try to do picture.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she got something on parts of the oral cavity where it is separated on two parts. dont know how to explain better. we are worry that she gonna die. she is very little only 50g. my sister just said her eye is much better so thats not issue anymore. please could you advise what to do more for this baby? thank you

What type of milk are you using to feed this baby?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
powder milk what is for mammals as cats...is that ok? is eating from syringe

A cleft palate? To the roof of her mouth? If she has this then it explains her failure to thrive. Unfortunately, large clefts or those involving the palate often result in an inability to eat normally and therefore a failure to grow and develop normally. They often result in chronic nasal infections, sinus infections and pneumonia. Surgical repair is indicated but difficult in so young and so tiny a patient. Feeding is best accomplished using an oral feeding tube which is readily learned by pet owners, unfortunately given that she is so small it is concerning. You can keep feeding and hope that she puts on weight.

The powder milk you are using is correct and it is positive she is taking it from the syringe.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we are not sure if they are bitten by siblings or what you saying. but you are amazing. sister will make a picture and send you in an hour. is that ok?

Yes no problem

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you a lot.

Just let me know when you have a picture of the affected area

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Other
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cute ;)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
here are all pictures. maybe it was injury of bites from others

Ok thanks, it's difficult to say for sure. Does the cleft extend inside the roof of the mouth or is it just the upper lip?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
just the upper lip Dr Chris. something was sticking on the top - there and it fell away. other cincilas have normal one, nicely overgrown and this one is smaller and her lips are strange. she was born her upper lip and nose was full of blood
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
mum did not care about that one so much. that cincila is weaker.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this one is not so developed yet like others, it's very tiny

Ok, it looks like it is probably a developmental defect. It is not quite as bad as a full cleft palate, but she will struggle to fed and will need to be syringe fed until weaning. She may have problems learning how to eat as an adult as well so will need careful nursing. Sadly there is a chance that she will not survive

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok yes im aware of this. hopefully it will be ok... Dr Chris thanks a lot for your help. you been very supportive

You're welcome. It sounds like you will give her the best chance.

If I could just trouble you to leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen when you get a moment, many thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
her eyes is not good again.is swallen, och we desparate.... i think you right maybe it will not survive. im sending to you last picture.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we used dexa-gantamicin from dr ... it was ok, now is again the same.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
of course i will leave the best rating

Hmm it does look like there is conjunctivitis occurring here. A better eye drop to use would be chloramphenicol if you are able to obtain some from the pharmacy. Other than that bathing the eyes with a little weak cold tea can also have an anti inflammatory effect.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
im using this cream in hospital, so we can use it. it is antibiotic. tea is not working, but eye drop was ok. thanks a lot dr

Ok you're welcome

Customer: replied 5 months ago.