Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have a canary which is now 4 years old. He has mites as

I have a canary which is now 4 years old. He has mites as had scaly feet. Was prescribed Zeno 50 mini ivermectin o.1% from a vets nearby. Wasn't very successful -most of it went on birds feathers. I bought some ivermectin from vets on line myself.Then gave a second dose two weeks later as still had the problem. The bird is singing, eating and drinking although is not himself. He sits puffed
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is really beautiful. T hank you.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tinker?
Customer: Sometimes his breathing seems fast and he is puffed up. H e was like that when moulting

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Can I ask what the formulation of the ivermectin you used was? Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I t is xeno 50 mini spot on solution. It just says each pipettes contains ivermectin 50 ug. Only gave him one drop each time. That is the only information given.

Fingers crossed that works :). Feel free to keep me updated

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tinker the canary is due some more ivermectin tomorrow as legs and feet red and legs slightly swollen. I wonder if he has started moulting now. Is it still ok to give him the ivermectin if this is the case?

Yes it's still fine to give the Ivermectin. Are you able to send me a picture of what the feet look like now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dear ***** this is tinker just now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is Tinker again which is clearer from phone

Ok, one thing I do notice is that your perches are all the same, this can cause pressure sores of the the feet and may be contributing to the problem. Did I previously send you my Budgie care sheet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is a grumpy bird at the moment. The perch at the right is bigger than the other two . Perhaps it is too wide for a canary. Please send me your info Budgie care sheet. Thank you for your help.

This care sheet is courtesy one one of my colleagues who is an exotics species specialist. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Chris