Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My budgies poo seems very wet and shes quite dirty round the

Customer Question

Hi, my budgies poo seems very wet and shes quite dirty round the bum. Shes also a lot noisier than usual
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your budgie's name and age?
Customer: Ollie, and shes about 8
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ollie?
Customer: She's recently moved house
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Ollie. It's important to clarify if her droppings are diarrheic (unformed fecal portion of the droppings) or, instead, you're seeing polyuria (increased volume of urine). This can be done by an avian vet (theparrotsocietyuk.org/veterinaryadvice/avian-vets) who will not only examine Ollie but also her cage. A complete physical exam including testing of the blood, feces, and urine will be needed. X-rays might be recommended predicated upon the findings in the initial exam and testing.

There are quite a few differentials for diarrhea. They include...

enteritis (intestinal inflammation) due to bacterial, fungal, viral infections; toxins

intestinal parasites (helminths/flukes, worms; protozoa)

proventricular dilatation disease (PDD)

avian bornavirus (which can become PDD)

chlamydiosis

Macrorhabdus (previously known as megabacteria or avian gastric yeast) - most commonly recognized in parakeets but diagnosed in most species

liver disease

zinc and lead poisoning

intestinal foreign body

change in diet

The differential list for polyuria is quite different. It includes...

renal disease

diabetes mellitus and insipidus

liver and pancreatic disease

hyperadrenocorticism (rare)

heavy metal toxicosis

"phosphate flush" due to an all seed diet

pituitary adenoma in parakeets

psychogenic polydipsia in juvenile birds

hens during broody behavior

Until she can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 29.4C by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. Remove her perches and put her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Add a water-soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand Vita-Drops to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to her water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in her water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Seeds should comprise less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard-boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese - yes, these low lactose foods are safe, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.