Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have a Bengalese finch & it is panting with it's beak

I have a Bengalese finch & it is panting with it's beak opening & closing. It also shakes it's head & wipes it's beak on the perches. Inside on the roof of it's beak the two curtains are clogged with a grey type of mucous. The bird itself is lively,& is eating & drinking with no problems. It has been like this now for a few days.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?
Customer: My wife calls it Cutie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: I can't think of anything other than it sometimes sits with ruffled feathers.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

This sounds like it could be a respiratory infection, either fungal (aspergillosis, candidiosis) or possibly bacterial (mycoplasma). Is there any change to the droppings or any discharge from the nares?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No

Ok, so fungal infection would seem a possibility. Do you have a vet that can prescribe medications for your birds?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I don't know any local avian bird vets

What area of the country are you in?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Bawtry, on the border of South Yorkshire & Worksop / Retford, Nottinghamshire

I know of one in Sheffield - Ark Vets. There also appears to be one in Nottingham

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you know of any nearer as these are quite a distance away.

Give me a moment and I'll see what I can find

There doesn't seem to be any specific avian vets closer than that. It would be worth enquiring at your local practice as some small animal vets will have a degree of knowledge with birds

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will do that. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. I hope you can get the right help for her