Jav917
Jav917,
5071285

I have a pet Cockatiel and he had, what looked it, a fit in

Hi there, I have a pet Cockatiel and he had, what looked it, a fit in his cage about 25 minutes ago. It’s happened before but he’s always managed to be ok. He’s a very old bird so he’s really struggling with walking and I think that might be causing these episodes.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He let me pick him up for a little bit but he was really struggling so I put him back. There didn’t appear to be any injuries but he keeps standing on them and making him unable to walk.
Assistant: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Tommy and he’s 24
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tommy?
Customer: He’s had episodes like this before and I know he’s a very old bird but I just don’t want see him suffer.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He can’t walk and I’m not sure what to do.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Veterinary Technician for over 35 years.

Do you have a small carrier that you use to take him to the Vet in>

If not do you have a small cardboard box available?

How long did the seizure last?

Did he fall or bang into something in the cage?

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We were going to take him to the vets last time but we thought the box would induce another one. It lasted about 3-( minutes

Let me explain about seizures. There is the pre ictal period the time prior to the seizure. the ical which is the actual seizure and post ictal which is the period after the seizure. This is the time we need to put him comfirtably into a confined space where he cannot hurt himslef where it is dark and very quiet. Lights and noises can trigger a seizure. This is why I suggested a carrier or a box that is lined with something soft and keep him in a darkened room with no noice until he can be transported to an Avian Vet.

A seizure is an electrical storm in the brain. The more he has and the longer they last can injure his brain as well as his neurological system. He needs to be seen by the Avian Vet for full evaluation. I suggest you take his see or pellets with you to make sre there is nothing in it causing the seizure. They will do blood work and Neurological exam.

This link goes over seizures in Birds:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/seizures-in-birds

I urge you to have him seen by the Avian Vet today if possible.

Please reply to discuss this information or concerns.

Joan

I want to add in this post Ictal period he may be unresponsive, weak and out of it. This is not unusual for a post ictal period, but it is also a time he can hurt himself and he is very weal and vulnerable.

I hope this information is helpful. My goal is to give you the best information and the best service possible,

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I really don’t think I’m going to be able to get him into a box
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When it happens his right wing comes out and his eyes flicker and he makes this noise

If you cannot do a box, remove the perches from the cage and put food and water within reach, cover the cage and move to a dark quet room.. The description sounds like part of a seizure all neurological issues. He needs to be seen by anavian Vet as soon as possible.

There is no home treatments and the Vet can determine if he needs medication. Each seizure is hard on his brain and body.

Did you have any further concerns? When I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my serviice positive.

Joan

You can also use a small Pet Taxi carrier used for Cats and other small animals for transport if lined with towels.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will look into it now thank you very much for your help.

You are very welcome! I hope all goes well with the Vet visit.

Joan