Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My budgie, aged three, has always flown free and has usually

Customer Question

My budgie, aged three, has always flown free and has usually come to me frequently during the day for kisses and chats (he talks).
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your budgie?
Customer: But he recently had a moult, and now does not come out much. He still chats all his little phrases, but sitting in his cage at his mirror. Someone suggested he may not be well, since they can hide illness. is this a possibility?
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is your budgie's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is 3 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddie?
Customer: He still comes up to me close to his cage but does not seem to want to fly. The last time he landed on a window sill after flying into vertical blinds.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

Molting is a stressful time for birds as it drains them of nutrients - protein, mainly - needed to manufacture feathers. Diet needs to be optimal at that time. What has Teddie's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should comprise less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard-boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese - yes these low lactose foods are safe, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.