Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Over ten years of experience with pet birds, wildlife, and zoological avian collections.
21470562

On my way back home, a cat next door dropped a bird; I

On my way back home, a cat next door dropped a bird; I picked it up and put it in a box lined with paper, left some wild bird seed, and I'm letting it recover I don't think it is injured, and it is looking bright eyed. Please advise
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is this new behavior?
Customer: This is a wild bird
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: I have no idea, it looks young
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: No

Hello, thank you for contacting us at Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and will do my best to answer your questions and help the bird. Does the bird look like it has all of the feathers grown in, or is it too young? Very young birds will have more down and just a few feathers. Do you see any puncture wounds?

If this is a young bird that is not able to fly, it would be best to take it to a wildlife rehabilitation facility where they can continue to support it until it is old enough to be released. If you think this bird has the wing feathers and is old enough to fly, check it all over very carefully for any puncture wounds. Cats have very sharp teeth and it is very common for them to poke a small hole in the prey animal when they are catching or carrying them. These tiny holes carry a lot of bacteria into the body and while initially the bird will look normal, usually within a few hours or a day it becomes very sick and dies without treatment. If you are able to take the bird to a veterinarian that will take a look and determine if it needs antibiotics, that would be the best option for this bird. Regardless, it is not ideal for you to keep it very long as the stress of being held in the box and close to humans is quite hard on the bird. If no vets in the area and no wildlife center near you, then provided the bird looks normal you can place it back outside in a safe area, (under some bushes, up in a tree, etc) in a few hours. Good luck to you and the bird!

Hello - just wanted to see how things ended up with the bird you found?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took the box & bird into the garden, turned the box on its side and the bird scuttled into the undergrowth. No further problems. Kind regards *****

That is a fantastic outcome. Thank you for caring enough about the wildlife to save them.
If you have further questions, please let me know. Otherwise, please rate the question at the top with the stars so it can be closed and filed. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!