Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have a 23 year old blue and gold macaw and she has become

Customer Question

Hello I have a 23 year old blue and gold macaw and she has become very wobbly on her legs and keeps falling off her perches and walks as if she is drunk and frequently wobbles her head she has also lost weight, she seems happy in herself, I had her tested for lead poisoning but the test came back negative please help I am very worried about her, regards ***** *****
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the bird ate?
Customer: She eats a good quality parrot food, the problem has slowly come on over the last 6 months
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: Not really she has always been in good health until lately
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 2 months ago.

Could you tell me how long ago the blood test for lead poisoning was performed? Were any other blood tests run at the same time? Any changes to droppings/appetite/water intake?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The blood test for lead was done last week but no other tests were done, her water intake is about normal and her droppings seem normal
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 2 months ago.

Ok. I would probably want to run a more comprehensive set of blood tests initially, especially to look at possible liver or kidney disease and evidence of infections. It is possible the lab may still have some of the blood left (they usually keep it a week or so) so may be able to request additional tests, otherwise a new sample would be required which could be combined with a full examination of your bird to look for other health concerns.

I hope that answers your question, please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Chris