Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I was left with my wifes parrot after she died 10 months ago

Customer Question

I was left with my wifes parrot after she died 10 months ago which you cant put your hand near as he is scared she had him about 12years His nails are so long theyare curling and catching on the cage and needing cut also his beak is long to cant get avian vet to come to house
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is the bird bleeding a lot?
Customer: no seems ok but scared he hurts his leg when climbing cage as they catch
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: no seems fit and healthy
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 2 months ago.

My condolences for the loss of your wife. I'm sorry to hear of the problems you have with the parrots nails. In this situation it is very likely that the parrot will need to be anaesthetised for a nail and beak trim, so would need to be taken into the veterinary practice for this. You may however find a normal veterinary practice which would be able to perform this for you without need for an avian specialist.

I hope that helps? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Chris