Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I've a 7 week old baby bird Dunnock who was fine on the baby

Hi, I've a 7 week old baby bird Dunnock who was fine on the baby formula. Sadly, it will bullied by its sibling who sadly passed away over the weekend following some kind of convulsion. My little bird went on bird seed fledgling food about three weeks ago. This week it too developed these convulsions. It essentially falls of its birds and shakes a lot. I thought on Friday it was going to die but it did recover after 6 hours. Three days ago I changed its food to a Robin diet with higher calcium and protein with insects and mealworms.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Tukki
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tukki?
Customer: Its feathers aren't fully developed. We can't get it to a bird sanctuary as all local ones are full. We have it in a parrot cage and it's been quite happy for the last 48 hours. Its eating and drinking etc. Its got white and brown droppings. Its very sweet and is trying it's best to live. I can't seem to find a place to take care of it but I would like to do my best. I bought Johnson's vitamins but was unsure how much to give. I'm not sure if there's an infection. I can't find much online about bird care of this kind. The local wild life centre hadn't been that helpful sadly
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Photo of Tukki.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like advice on general bird care, its food and any supplements etc I should give it. The local vets are not avian trained and hence refuse to see it. So thanks for your help.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Well done for rescuing this bird. It sounds like you are doing a pretty good job of rearing him. I'm sorry to hear that the other one didn't make it. In the wild they would eat a diet made up of worms, insects, spiders and seeds. If you need something to hand feed then I would suggest Emeraid Intensive care Omnivore. When he is stronger and able to fly it would be advisable to try and release him as soon as possible to give him the best chance of survival in the wild.

I hope that helps?

Please let me know if you have further questions,

Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He's actually eating on his own and refuses anything I give him by hand. Do you think these so called convulsions will resolve with an improved diet. He is munching through Peckish Diet for Robins. I crushed the mealworms and added it to a bit of the baby formula. It can fly a bit but kind of falls while doing so in our sitting room. Are there any basic books on bird care I could get and what shall I clean the cage with while he's with us.So with the food you suggest be given with his current seed feed or how should I give it to him.I'm just concerned about these convulsions he's had. I wanted to do all I can to prevent it.

The convulsions may be due to a dietary deficiency or possibly due to low blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will improve with better diet.

I don't know of any books in particular, this link seems to have good information http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Man/AvianHusbandryTechniques/UKBHusbIndTech/HR_Av_Passerines.htm

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for this. So what's the best bird food I can buy for this bird and can I use the supplements like Johnson's vitamins etc in its food. I looked up the formula you suggested but it seems to only be given if the bird is taking food by feeding. I don't think it can be added to the current feed. I've only used Amazon unless you've any better ideas. Our pets shops are limited to parrots.The bird seems fine today. I bought it a new perch so it can sleep there and not keep falling off the branches it had

Yes that is correct, the Emeraid is mainly for hand feeding/crop tubing birds, if he is eating by himself then the mixture of seed and insects/worms should be fine, maggots from a fishing shop will probably go down well.

I did also come across this one, but again is more for hand feeding http://www.wildlife-rescue.org.uk/wordpress/?product=baby-bird-handrearing-formula

You could crumble a small amount of the vitamins in, but it is probably unnecessary if you a feeding a good quality wild bird seed and supplementing with live food

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks ever so much for your help. Your link was interesting and the most useful. I thought this bird mix might do the trick http://www.wildlife-rescue.org.uk/wordpress/?product=dried-insect-and-ultimate-balance-mix-55g . Hope you approve. I will try all you've said and see how things go. Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks

You're welcome. Yes I think if he is eating well by himself then that would work fine. Good luck!