Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I am a scheme manager of a retirement building I have a

Good afternoon, I am a scheme manager of a retirement building I have a tenant moving in soon whom wants to bring an African grey parrot with him, I would like information on what can go wrong with them in a flat where the tenant is bedridden and has no mobility. How often do these birds need to be cleaned out, what infections and diseases can they get and what can be passed, do or can they be trained to recall back into their cage, how often do they need to be out to fly, how loud is their squawking and how far can this carry in a block of flats, ant help would be appreciated as I am concerned of the animals welfare, and what affect this will have on the others residents living above, below and to the sides of his flat.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the gray can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the gray?
Customer: They are moving from a house that has been very social with visitors, the gentleman due to poor health has been living (bedridden) in the lounge, a lot of people, family and visitors have been socializing in the area also, so the Gray has had a lot of interaction, which will not happen in its new environment, but they will be in a separate flat of their own with no integrations except care staff 4 times a day.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. African greys are certainly a species which need a lot of care and attention. It will be difficult for someone who is bedridden to provide this unless they have significant help. Ideally the parrot needs to have free flight out of the cage every day, really they should only be in the cage to sleep and when the owner is not there. The cage will need to be cleaned out at least weekly. The bird will need a UVB Light source for 10-12 hours per day and will also need 10-12hours of complete quite and darkness to sleep. They are very intelligent birds and require a lot of mental stimulation to prevent boredom. They can mimic sounds and talk. A happy bird should not be squarking often, however a stressed or bored bird could make an awful lot of noise which would carry through much of the building.

They shouldn't typically carry diseases which would affect humans, although rarely they can carry Psittacosis, see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/psittacosis

The typical lifespan is 30-40 years.

I hope that helps? Please let me know if you need any further advice.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your answers, I was told these birds need their cages cleaned daily to make sure no food is left. is this true? Also as an extra care building the building has a high temperature would this affect the African Grey?

Yes ideally uneaten food should be removed each day to avoid it spoiling and a thorough full cage clean at least weekly depending on the level of buildup. African greys actually need a fairly warm room 21-24 degrees is an optimum temperature for them

Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience: BVetMed MRCVS