Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Over ten years of experience with pet birds, wildlife, and zoological avian collections.
21470562

Have been treating canary with ivermectin which has got rid

Have been treating canary with ivermectin which has got rid of scaly mites on feet. However feet and legs very red, and sometimes standing on one leg
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** 4 years six months.. He has been receiving O.1%. ivermectin. Wondering whether dose not enough.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tinker?
Customer: Not I did think his problem maybe diet related. He will to eat fruit or vegetables. If his water looks different in any way will not drink it.

Hello, thank you for contacting us at Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and will do my best to answer your questions and hep Tinker. Has Tinker been seen by your vet to prescribe the ivermectin? Did the vet diagnose the scaly leg mites?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A vet did say Tinker had scaly leg mites. Prescribed ivermectin for him. I then went and got the same medicine online from vets. It is called xeno 50-mini, 9 pipettes. Have only been giving him one drop.It says one drop per 15 g body weight.

Ok. Do you know his exact weight? Do you have a picture of the bottle you can post here? I'll try to run some calculations to make sure this is not a toxic side effect.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do not know his exact weight although he is quite small. Have attached photo. Will also Send photo of bird.

Thanks for the image of the product. While ivermectin is prescribed to treat mites in birds, some species, such as canaries, can be very sensitive. This might be an appropriate dose for him based on his weight, but he may need antibiotics now for a secondary infection. It is not possible to tell just from a photo, and a hands-on exam would be needed to determine if antibiotics are warranted. If he is still eating, drinking, and acting normal, you are not likely in a toxic range.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have attached photo of bird

Tinker is adorable! He looks pretty alert, so I would say you are doing a great job taking care of him!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I make an appointment and take him to an avian vet.

That isn't a bad idea. How long have you been treating him and how many doses has he had?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has probably had three doses of ivermectin over a period of 6 weeks. I have been putting just a very small amount of Vaseline on his legs hoping they feel more comfortable for him

He should be free from mites after the three doses, so it is a little worrisome that his legs are red and he is holding one up on occasion. It could mean that he still has mites, which you would need your vet to look at and prescribe the correct dose for you. But it could also be an infection and pain, which your vet can prescribe antibiotics and pain medications. I'm afraid you can't actually tell the difference without an exam.

If you are able to speak to your avian vet today, they may still be able to see you, but if not I'm sure they can get you in right away.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for all your help.

Good luck with Tinker. I have a deep love for small birds, especially canaries, and yours looks particularly cute in the photo. Please let me know if you have further questions. Have a great day.

Do you have any other questions for me? If not, please rate the conversation using the stars above so that it can be closed and filed. Thank you!