Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have a kakariki, usually quite active. He appears to have

Customer Question

I have a kakariki, usually quite active. He appears to have hurt his right leg or foot. Nothing apparent but not using it as normal. Sitting on bottom of cage and very subdued
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: boris, He is about 20 months - 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boris?
Customer: not Sure, he lives with Doris and they were both nesting and fighting a lot?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 month ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 month ago.

Sorry to hear about Boris' leg. Is he placing any weight on it at all? Does he seem to be eating/drinking?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is eating and drinking, but using his beak to help him up onto the bars and perches. He is also sitting on the ground to sleep, rather than a perch. He is also fluffing himself up a d burying his head very deep into his wing.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 month ago.

Hmm ok. It does sound like he is in discomfort. This may just be a soft tissue injury (sprain) but there is also the possibility of a fracture as their bones are very delicate. It may be best to get him checked by a vet (ideally with avian experience) to make sure that is not the case and possibly get some pain relief for him.

I hope that helps? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice. Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cant get to an avian vet until Friday is there anything I can do give him to help before that?
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any prescribed pain relief such as metacam?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, can I get it from my local vet?
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 month ago.

Yes but they would need to examine the bird first

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They wont as they aren't avian vets. Poor thing
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 month ago.

Sorry to hear that. If it is a sprain then it may well right itself with rest, but if he is struggling to perch then that is slightly more concerning.