Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a9 year old zebra finch who has injured his leg?

Customer Question

I have a9 year old zebra finch who has injured his leg ? how,he is supporting himsel when he manages to get on a perch by fluttering his wing, the only problem being ,his other leg is weak, what can I do for him,
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: The birds name is ***** ***** he is 9 years old
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zag?
Customer: He is eating, not very vocal today
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please note that experts aren't allowed to prescribe prescription drugs in this venue.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Zag. Regrettably, he presents as a bird that will require a hands-on exam of that leg in order to determine how best to address it. Are you able to gently grasp him in a hand towel and examine the leg from the tip of his toes to his hip? You're looking for obvious swelling and/or displacement of bones or joints. Analgesia can be provided by dissolving one adult 325 mg aspirin in 1/2 pint (250 mL) of drinking water.