Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Our bird recently had an x-ray and we discovered that one

Hi,Our bird recently had an x-ray and we discovered that one fracture has virtually healed, but the open fracture needs another two weeks of healing with the pins in place. Do you think there is much hope for this leg?Thanks.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear of this with your bird. Do you have a copy of the xrays? Open fractures certainly have a higher incidence of complications with healing such as infection which can lead to none healing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr Chris, thanks for your message. I don't have a copy of the x-rays. The vet said that it appears that the soft tissues are connecting, but the leg needed an additional pin to promote healing. We will continue to look after him for another two weeks and really hope the fracture heals. Is it hard to say what the likelihood is? Thanks.

How long since the original surgery?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was 16 days ago and he has had pins in his legs for 14 days. Thanks.

Ah ok, so not really that long in terms of bone healing. I would not give up on the leg at this stage then, there is is a reasonable prospect of healing. If there was still no progress in say another 4 weeks time then I would be concerned that it wouldn't heal. Really the vet that performed the surgery and has the xray information is going to be best placed to offer you advise on this.

I hope that helps? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. The vet hasn't given up hope. I just really hope his leg heals, it would break my heart the thought of him having to have one of his legs amputated :( Thanks.

You're welcome. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your feathered friend!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks :)

If I could just trouble you to accept my answer and leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks